`Farmers to get farmland along Indo-Pak border`
Jammu: All cultivable land along the Indo-Pak border, which were used by the Army to lay minefields during Kargil war, would be handed over to the farmers for cultivation, Jammu and Kashmir government has said.
"The government has resolved to demine all cultivable land along Indo-Pak border in Jammu and Kashmir, handover it to border farmers so that they are made self-reliant and prosperous," Deputy Chief Minister Tara Chand said on Monday while touring the Khour border in Jammu district.
In 1999 during Kargil war and later Operation Parakaram in 2001, Army laid minefields in the agriculture land of border dwellers.
The border people have been demanding removal of minefield so that they could cultivate their lands, he said, adding that till now over 3000 acres of agriculture land have been demined and handed over to farmers along Indo-Pak border.
Chand said since people living near the border have no other source of income than agriculture.
Referring to the water logging problem during monsoons,
Chand said a mega drain project would be started shortly. He also announced construction of several roads of the block, which would be constructed under NABARD at an estimated cost of Rs 8 crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?