Farooq demands restoration of internal autonomy in J&K
Srinagar: A year ahead of the assembly polls in Jammu and Kashmir, ruling National Conference (NC) seems to have hit the poll mode button, saying restoration of internal autonomy was the only solution to the political problems of the state.
"Jammu and Kashmir is primarily a political problem and needs to be resolved through peaceful political means.
"The only way to bring normalcy and permanent peace to the state and the subcontinent is to restore autonomy in its pristine form, as guaranteed in the Indian Constitution," NC president Farooq Abdullah said in his message in the party`s online newsletter.
The newsletter was launched during the NC`s Central Working Committee meeting held at Jammu recently with the aim of highlighting its achievements.
Abdullah chose the inaugural edition of the newsletter to reiterate his party`s stand on Kashmir issue.
"If there existed solution better than autonomy, which is acceptable to the people of Jammu and Kashmir, the NC would have no problem in accepting it. But there is no viable solution than autonomy," the newsletter quoted Abdullah, who is Union Minister for New and Renewable Energy, as saying.
It said Abdullah attaches immense importance to restoration of peace.
"He (Abdullah) wants the people of Jammu and Kashmir to follow the path of peace and progress and shun violence and hatred, if they want to achieve economic strength, prosperity and lead a happy and peaceful life," it added.
Abdullah called for a change in approach and attitude for building a strong and peaceful Jammu and Kashmir, and India.
"To strengthen our state and country, we need to change our approach and attitude, which is a hindrance in the way of building a strong and peaceful nation. We have to realise our responsibilities," he said.
Abdullah said the people of the state will have to exploit their managerial skills optimally. "We have to set high goals to climb the ladder of success, as we inherent talent and a vast knowledge pool. Together we can build a prosperous nation," he said in his message.
"We cannot achieve success until we follow the path of secularism and peaceful brotherhood.
"Division in the name of religion, region, caste and colour is the biggest enemy of our nation and we all should be united to fight this enemy, if we want to take the path of prosperity and development," he added.
NC`s focus on the forthcoming assembly elections was evident when ? Nasir Aslam Wani and Devender Rana -- two close aides of Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, were given important party posts.
Wani, who was Minister of State in several ministries, was appointed the party`s provincial president for Kashmir while Rana, political advisor to the Chief Minister, was named provincial president for Jammu.
Assembly elections in the state are due towards the end of next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof