Farooq pledges support for Ansari in VP poll
New Delhi: The National Conference on Saturday pledged support for Hamid Ansari who appears to be the Congress choice in the Vice Presidential poll scheduled next month.
"We will support Ansari`s candidature for the post of Vice-President. He is a good man," NC chief and Union Minister Farooq Abdullah told reporters here.
His comments came ahead of a meeting of the UPA to finalise the candidature of incumbent Vice President Ansari.
Asked about the Trinamool Congress suggesting the name of Gopalkrishna Gandhi, he said each one can give individual names.
"But UPA-II suggested only his name and we are hopeful of a win," he said.
A decision on Ansari as UPA`s candidate, which Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had mentioned to various non-UPA leaders when seeking support, is likely to be taken at the meeting.
The UPA is comfortably placed in the electoral college comprising 790 MPs. With the backing of outside supporters like Samajwadi Party and Bahujan Samaj Party and others, the UPA has nearly 500 MPs on its side.
The last day for filing nomination for Vice Presidential election is July 20, a day after the Presidential poll.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users