Farooq pledges support for Ansari in VP poll
New Delhi: The National Conference on Saturday pledged support for Hamid Ansari who appears to be the Congress choice in the Vice Presidential poll scheduled next month.
"We will support Ansari`s candidature for the post of Vice-President. He is a good man," NC chief and Union Minister Farooq Abdullah told reporters here.
His comments came ahead of a meeting of the UPA to finalise the candidature of incumbent Vice President Ansari.
Asked about the Trinamool Congress suggesting the name of Gopalkrishna Gandhi, he said each one can give individual names.
"But UPA-II suggested only his name and we are hopeful of a win," he said.
A decision on Ansari as UPA`s candidate, which Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had mentioned to various non-UPA leaders when seeking support, is likely to be taken at the meeting.
The UPA is comfortably placed in the electoral college comprising 790 MPs. With the backing of outside supporters like Samajwadi Party and Bahujan Samaj Party and others, the UPA has nearly 500 MPs on its side.
The last day for filing nomination for Vice Presidential election is July 20, a day after the Presidential poll.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- Infosys names Anantha Radhakrishnan as new BPO head
- Lok Sabha Speaker should reconsider travelling in Jaguar: Congress
- Watch: After 67 years of concrete prison 'world's loneliest elephant' dies in Tokyo
- SunRisers Hyderabad enter maiden IPL final with four-wicket win over Gujarat Lions
- Over 80 percent of world's city dwellers breathe polluted air: WHO