Fatwa against `Pargaash` act to disturb normalcy: BJP
Jammu: The BJP today criticised the decree issued by Jammu and Kashmir`s Grandmufti against the all-girls rock band `Pragaash`, terming it a fundamentalist move which aimed at "Talibanisation" of the society.
"It is an attempt towards `Talibanisation` of the society by certain fundamentalist groups who are uncomfortable with the return of normalcy in Jammu and Kashmir," party`s state spokesperson Jitendra Singh said here.
He said there are some people who don`t want the youth of Kashmir to be a part of the national mainstream.
The party also hit out at the National Conference-led government in the state, alleging that its "appeasement policy towards separatists and militant groups" encourage the fundamentalists and lead to such situations.
Although the Chief Minister Omar Abdullah has denounced the decree on micro-blogging site Twitter, the government has not taken any measure for ensuring security of the members of the band, Singh alleged.
The party also launched a veiled attack on the Congress, saying that its "silence" over the issue raised doubts over its commitments towards maintaining dignity of women.
Amid support pouring in for the all-girls band after it received hate messages on social-networking websites, Grandmufti Bashiruddin Ahmad, through a decree, had yesterday termed singing as "un-Islamic" and asked them to abandon it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India