Fatwa against `Pargaash` act to disturb normalcy: BJP
Jammu: The BJP today criticised the decree issued by Jammu and Kashmir`s Grandmufti against the all-girls rock band `Pragaash`, terming it a fundamentalist move which aimed at "Talibanisation" of the society.
"It is an attempt towards `Talibanisation` of the society by certain fundamentalist groups who are uncomfortable with the return of normalcy in Jammu and Kashmir," party`s state spokesperson Jitendra Singh said here.
He said there are some people who don`t want the youth of Kashmir to be a part of the national mainstream.
The party also hit out at the National Conference-led government in the state, alleging that its "appeasement policy towards separatists and militant groups" encourage the fundamentalists and lead to such situations.
Although the Chief Minister Omar Abdullah has denounced the decree on micro-blogging site Twitter, the government has not taken any measure for ensuring security of the members of the band, Singh alleged.
The party also launched a veiled attack on the Congress, saying that its "silence" over the issue raised doubts over its commitments towards maintaining dignity of women.
Amid support pouring in for the all-girls band after it received hate messages on social-networking websites, Grandmufti Bashiruddin Ahmad, through a decree, had yesterday termed singing as "un-Islamic" and asked them to abandon it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000km strategic road
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000 km strategic road - Part II
- Natural to express grief over mistreatment of Dalits: LK Advani
- Hundreds of NASA's studies now available online for free!
- Status of political parties to be reviewed every 10 years
- WOAH! BJP MP Paresh Rawal launches fierce attack on India's Rio Olympics officials
- 30% to vote for SP, BJP+ 27%, BSP 26% in next UP Assembly elections: Survey