Female foeticide biggest sin against humanity: Omar
Srinagar: Terming female foeticide as the "biggest sin against humanity", Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Tuesday said his government has taken several measures but it alone cannot eradicate the menace.
"When I saw the alarming reports of female foeticide in Kashmir, I was highly surprised as I had never dreamt that such a sin will be performed in a society where protection, security and well being of girls and women is a cultural trait," Omar said at a function here.
Addressing a three-day workshop on `Gender and Child Rights`, organised by Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy in collaboration with the state government, Omar pin-pointed the menace of female foeticide and said that he is deeply concerned about this "highest sin against humanity" which would ruin the future of the society.
"Government alone cannot eradicate it by enforcing laws. Public awareness and participation of civil society is imperative in this regard," the chief minister said.
"The civil society in close coordination with the government have to address this menace," he said and referred to the various steps taken by the state government for the growth and well being of women and children.
The chief minister also expressed concern over the deteriorating situation of children rights in the state due to violence, militancy and a host of other factors.
In a state like Jammu and Kashmir, law and order and security situation coupled with incidents of violence badly tell upon the rights of children to enjoy active and joyous childhood, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened