Fierce encounter rages on in Kashmir
Srinagar: A fierce gunbattle broke out on Thursday between security forces and three militants of Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) holed up in a house in Malroo locality on the
outskirts of Srinagar city.
Several explosions were heard as security forces launched an assault to flush out the militants hiding in the house of property dealer Abdul Majid Bhat at Malroo, 15 kms
from here, officials said.
The two sides exchanged heavy volume of firing soon after security forces evacuated civilians including large number of women and children to safety from the houses in the
vicinity of the building where the militants were taking shelter, they said.
The encounter started after police and troops of 2 Rashtriya Rifles cordoned off Malroo locality in the wee hours following a tip off about the presence of at least three militants in one of the houses in the area.
The ultras opened fire on the security forces when they were zeroing in on the house. The troops retaliated following which a gunbattle ensued, they said.
At one stage, security forces sent a group of locals to persuade the militants to surrender, they said. However, the ultras refused the offer.
A helicopter was seen flying very low over the house after which one of the militants started firing towards it, they said.
A defence spokesman said the movement of the choppers in the area is for routine administrative purposes as the headquarters of counter-insurgency `Kilo Force` is located
in nearby Shariefabad area.
"We do not use helicopters during encounter operations," Lt Colonel JS Brar said.
Director General of Police Kuldeep Khoda told reporters that the operation was launched last night after which the encounter began.
"The operation is in progress and details will be given once it is completed," Khoda said.
He said the security forces were alert to the challenge of militancy and necessary steps were being taken to thwart them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leading in 50 seats, BJP in 32; big prestige battle for both parties
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena ahead in Mumbai, Thane; BJP leading in Pune, Nagpur, Solapur, Akola