Fierce gunbattle on between Army, militants in J&K; one jawan killed
Srinagar: An Indian Army soldier was killed and another injured in an encounter with militants in Kupwara district of Jammua and Kashmir Saturday morning.
The encounter between the security forces and militants in Kupwara is still going on. It is being reported that 4-5 militants are holed up in the area.
"In an ongoing operation at Baron Gali, Kalaroos, contact with infiltrators was re-established during the night and in the exchange of fire one jawan was killed and another was injured," a defence spokesman said.
In the past few months there has been repeated ceasefire violations by the Pakistan along the Line of Control.
So far, six guerrillas and three Army soldiers have been killed in this operation which has been going on for the last 20 days near the LoC.
Police said a large group of heavily armed guerrillas have infiltrated into the Indian side of the LoC in this area following which a massive operation was started against them by the security forces.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday expressed his disappointment and flayed Pakistan for engaging secessionists in Kashmir.
Meanwhile, the Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS ) of Rajasthan Police has issued an alert over the possibility of a group of terrorists looking to enter Rajasthan from across the international border with Pakistan.
The alert has put the number of possible intruders at 15. Following the alert, the Border Security Force (BSF) has intensified patrolling in border areas, especially in Bikaner, Jodhpur, Barmer.
Traditionally Jammu and Kashmir frontier has been the most active route for infiltration but with the Indian armed forces stepping up pressure there, Rajasthan has emerged as the new worry area.
Last week, the BSF had said it has spotted armed terrorists very close to the IB on at least three occasions. The BSF chief said the continued ceasefire violations are an attempt to help terrorists into India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured