Fierce gunbattle on between Army, militants in J&K; one jawan killed
Srinagar: An Indian Army soldier was killed and another injured in an encounter with militants in Kupwara district of Jammua and Kashmir Saturday morning.
The encounter between the security forces and militants in Kupwara is still going on. It is being reported that 4-5 militants are holed up in the area.
"In an ongoing operation at Baron Gali, Kalaroos, contact with infiltrators was re-established during the night and in the exchange of fire one jawan was killed and another was injured," a defence spokesman said.
In the past few months there has been repeated ceasefire violations by the Pakistan along the Line of Control.
So far, six guerrillas and three Army soldiers have been killed in this operation which has been going on for the last 20 days near the LoC.
Police said a large group of heavily armed guerrillas have infiltrated into the Indian side of the LoC in this area following which a massive operation was started against them by the security forces.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday expressed his disappointment and flayed Pakistan for engaging secessionists in Kashmir.
Meanwhile, the Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS ) of Rajasthan Police has issued an alert over the possibility of a group of terrorists looking to enter Rajasthan from across the international border with Pakistan.
The alert has put the number of possible intruders at 15. Following the alert, the Border Security Force (BSF) has intensified patrolling in border areas, especially in Bikaner, Jodhpur, Barmer.
Traditionally Jammu and Kashmir frontier has been the most active route for infiltration but with the Indian armed forces stepping up pressure there, Rajasthan has emerged as the new worry area.
Last week, the BSF had said it has spotted armed terrorists very close to the IB on at least three occasions. The BSF chief said the continued ceasefire violations are an attempt to help terrorists into India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city