Financial autonomy key to holistic development: Omar Abdullah
Lakhanpur: Underscoring the importance of financial self-sufficiency for progress, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Sunday asked the government and the civil society to develop a mindset to work together to realise this goal.
"The hand which contributes and extends financial support is always better than the one which receives it", he said in a function after inaugurating a Toll Plaza here.
The availability of water resources in plenty can be utilised to transform the economy of the state by generating surplus hydro energy, he said.
Omar said that enhancing tax orbit is not the answer to strengthen Jammu and Kashmir`s financial position but generation of electricity in huge quantity is only way forward to strengthen the state`s financial condition.
"Whatever is our right to receive from the Centre, we should get it with our heads up, but when it is in the shape of concessions and mercies one does not feel elated", he said adding, the total dependence on Central financial support has to be reversed by the joint efforts and determination of the civil society and the state government.
"We have lagged behind in harnessing the hydro electric potential of 20,000 MWs available in the state. Had half of it been realised so far we would have been providing 24x7 electricity to the consumers and industries in the state and selling about 5,000 MWs to other parts of the country", he said.
He said his government has already launched prestigious projects in the state in joint ventures, PPP and IPP modes and the day is not far away when Jammu and Kashmir would achieve the cherished goal of self-reliance.
Omar said that besides focusing on upgradation and improvement of basic facilities across the state, the consolidation of health and education sectors has remained among the top priorities in his tenure.
"We enacted and implemented legislations to reduce the chances of corruption in public service delivery systems, to bring more transparency in administration and strengthen the institutions to empower people and make government answerable before them. Our endeavour in this direction would continue," he said.
The state government was sincerely moving forward to provide good-governance and people-friendly administration, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says