Srinagar: A fire broke out at a maternity hospital due to short circuit, damaging its operation theatre in Anantnag district of South Kashmir, officials said on Wednesday.
The fire broke out in the operation theatre of main maternity hospital at Sherbagh in Anantnag town, 55 kms from here, around mid-night, an official of the Fire and Emergency Services told PTI.
He said fire tenders from the local station and nearby Sarbal headquarter were immediately pressed into service and the fire was brought under control within an hour.
Timely action saved the two-storied main building of the hospital from destruction, the official said adding that some costly equipment inside the operation theater were either completely or partially damaged in the blaze.
However, the official said there was no causality in the fire which was caused by short circuit.
Officials said panic-striken patients and their attendants shifted to safer places immediately after noticing the fire in the building.