First `Jan Aushadhi` store opened in Srinagar
Srinagar: The first Jan Aushadhi generic
drugs store was opened here with government proposing two more
such outlets in Government Medical college hospitals at the
twin capital cities of Srinagar and Jammu.
The outlet at the Red Cross Complex in the heart of the
city was inaugurated by the State Governor NN Vohra last
The Generic Drugs outlet has been set up under the
initiative of the Union Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilisers
and co-ordinated by the Pharma Public Sector Undertakings
(PSUs) of India with a view to provide quality medicines to
the people at affordable prices.
The availability of generic drugs manufactured by the
Central and State PSUs can contribute significantly towards
tackling the problem of the rapid increase in the prices of
drugs, injectable and other material required for medical
care, Vohra said.
He emphasised the need for making available quality
medicines to people at affordable prices and simultaneously
dealing effectively with the menace of spurious drugs.
"There is enormous difference of up to 15 times between
the prices of branded and generic drugs," the Governor said.
Referring to the activities of the Red Cross, the
Governor called for dynamic efforts being made to mobilise
adequate resources to give meaningful momentum to ameliorative
activities in the State.
Later, Vohra gave away cash awards to three drivers of
the Indian Red Cross Society who had done commendable work
during summer last year.
Minister for Medical Education RS Chib announced that
generic drugs outlets will be set up in the Government Medical
College Hospitals at Srinagar and Jammu as well as the
Associated Hospitals thereof soon.
"Government is in the process of formulating a Drug
Policy in the State," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened