First juvenile home set up in J&K
Srinagar: Faced with the problem of lodging minors detained during protests in regular jails, Jammu and Kashmir government has set up the first juvenile home in the state in Harwan area on the outskirts of the summer capital.
The juvenile home, constructed at a cost of Rs 4.11 crore, will soon become functional, an official spokesman said today.
Chief Secretary Madhav Lal, yesterday inspected the home for detained minors at Harwan and took stock of the facilities being created there.
The place has been established after human rights groups criticised the state government for not having such a facility after many teenagers were arrested, during last summer`s unrest and had to be lodged in regular jails.
"The juvenile home, will act as an important centre of reforms, where neglected juveniles and minor detainees could be nurtured mentally and physically to become normal and responsible citizens," he said.
The juvenile detenus will also be provided training in different skills to enable them to take up economic activities for livelihood after coming out of detention.
The Chief Secretary, while interacting with the concerned officials, asked them to make necessary arrangements for health care of the inmates and other needs, adding that links for the purpose must be established with hospitals and concerned departments.
He also stressed on designing proper sports activities at the centre for, which facilities have already been created within the complex.
Necessary staff, including the warden to run routine affairs of the juvenile home, have already been deployed, the spokesman said, adding that the Social Welfare Department has released Rs 32 lakh for providing furnishing, bedding,
furniture and other items to the centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?