Five houses destroyed, over 200 affected in flash floods
Jammu: Five houses were destroyed in heavy rains and flash floods and over 200 others affected due to submergence of various areas in Jammu, Kishtwar and Samba districts of Jammu and Kashmir.
Two houses collapsed due to heavy rains in Rajouri and Jammu areas and three were completely washed away in flash floods in Lohakhi Khad and Manawar Tawi rivers here since last night, officials said here today.
No casualty was, however, reported in these incidents so far, they said.
Heavy rains, which were still continuing since yesterday in Kishtwar district, triggered flash floods and submerged the Chajjar belt of Madwa tehsil, they said.
A special team of officials, including doctors, led by Kishtwar Deputy Commissioner G R Bhagat have been rushed to Madwa with various items for the affected people today, they said.
Due to flash floods, over 200 houses have been affected and 330 families were shifted to safer place.
In Jammu district, flash floods in various nallahs and river Tawi submerged various areas and flood waters gushed into the houses in Raji Nagar, Sanjay Nagar, Krishnagar, Nai Basti, Rampura and Vishal Nagar, Nikki Tawi areas.
As many as 252 house of nearly eight villages namely Garad, Magial Lallu, Magial Avtara, Kharaota, Gigrial, Dhar, Channi Dewano and Platan have been damaged due to flash floods in river Chenab yesterday.
"High alert has been sounded in connection with flash floods in the rivers. People have been asked to keep away from river banks," Deputy Chief Minister Tara Chand, who made an extensive tour to assess loss due floods, yesterday said.
The river Chenab was flowing at 36.2 feet above the danger mark and river Tawi at 9.2 feet above the danger mark in Jammu district.
Chand had directed the authorities to provide 35 kg free ration to each affected family and LPG cylinders. He also asked the Revenue and Rural Development Department authorities to assess the losses to the houses and recommend their cases for assistance under Indra Awas Yojana.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai