Five militants killed in encounter
Srinagar: Five suspected foreign militants were killed in an encounter with Army in Kangan area of central Kashmir`s Ganderbal district monday.
"Five militants have been killed in a counter-insurgency operation in Wangat forest area of Kangan," defence spokesman Lt Colonel J S Brar told News agency.
"We are trying to ascertain the identity and group affiliation of the slain militants," he said.
Police sources said the slain militants were believed to be a group of foreigners, who might have infiltrated into the Valley recently.
Meanwhile, in another militancy related incident, ultras fired upon a joint party of Army and police in Poshwari area of Shopian district in south Kashmir but there were no casualties reported.
The joint search party was fired upon at around 9.30 AM from an orchard but the security forces did not retaliate due to the presence of civilians, who were packing apples, the sources said.
A search operation has been launched in the area to track down the assailants, they added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi