Five militants killed in encounter
Srinagar: Five suspected foreign militants were killed in an encounter with Army in Kangan area of central Kashmir`s Ganderbal district monday.
"Five militants have been killed in a counter-insurgency operation in Wangat forest area of Kangan," defence spokesman Lt Colonel J S Brar told News agency.
"We are trying to ascertain the identity and group affiliation of the slain militants," he said.
Police sources said the slain militants were believed to be a group of foreigners, who might have infiltrated into the Valley recently.
Meanwhile, in another militancy related incident, ultras fired upon a joint party of Army and police in Poshwari area of Shopian district in south Kashmir but there were no casualties reported.
The joint search party was fired upon at around 9.30 AM from an orchard but the security forces did not retaliate due to the presence of civilians, who were packing apples, the sources said.
A search operation has been launched in the area to track down the assailants, they added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test