Five students arrested for stone-pelting
Srinagar: Five students were on Monday arrested, including one in an injured condition, on charges of stone-pelting on the police at a college in Wazir Bagh area here,
official sources said.
A police team raided Amar Singh College after receiving a tip-off that some students involved in stone-pelting were planning to interact with a group of visiting journalists,
Clashes took place in the campus when students pelted stones on the police to prevent them from taking their colleagues into custody, they said.
Police opened fire in an attempt to bring the situation under control, they said, adding that five students were arrested.
One of the arrested, identified as Hashim Farooq, was hit by a bullet in the foot, they said. He was taken to police hospital for treatment.
The arrested students were undergoing studies at Islamic University of Sciences and Technology (IUST) Awantipora in Pulwama district and had come to the college to interact with the journalists, they said.
- Seven of marriage party electrocuted in Telangana
- IS-linked cell in Morocco planned attack in Brussels
- NDRF says ‘fire out in 70% of affected areas’, Centre sends team to probe Uttarakhand forest fires
- Major shift in Modi govt’s stand on Hurriyat leaders as VK Singh says ‘they are citizens of India’?
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan legal spat: Sona Mohapatra slams Adhyayan Suman - Here's why