Five students arrested for stone-pelting
Srinagar: Five students were on Monday arrested, including one in an injured condition, on charges of stone-pelting on the police at a college in Wazir Bagh area here,
official sources said.
A police team raided Amar Singh College after receiving a tip-off that some students involved in stone-pelting were planning to interact with a group of visiting journalists,
Clashes took place in the campus when students pelted stones on the police to prevent them from taking their colleagues into custody, they said.
Police opened fire in an attempt to bring the situation under control, they said, adding that five students were arrested.
One of the arrested, identified as Hashim Farooq, was hit by a bullet in the foot, they said. He was taken to police hospital for treatment.
The arrested students were undergoing studies at Islamic University of Sciences and Technology (IUST) Awantipora in Pulwama district and had come to the college to interact with the journalists, they said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Details out: What Rahul Gandhi did during his two-month-long sabbatical