Flash flood alert in Jammu
Jammu: As heavy rains lashed Jammu region,
authorities Sunday sounded an alert about the possibility of
flash floods and evacuated people living near swollen rivers.
There was possibility of flash floods in rivers Tawi,
Ujh, Basantar and Ravi, which were flowing above the red mark,
People were told not to venture out near the rivers
which were in spate, they said.
Residents living near the rivers had been evacuated to
safer places, the officials said, adding over 250 houses in
eight villages had been damaged by recent floods, triggered by
torrential rains, in the division.
Jammu and Kashmir Deputy Chief Minister Tara Chand
today visited the flood-hit areas and assessed the damage.
He interacted with people hit by the flood fury and
directed authorities to provide 35-kg free ration to each
The Deputy Chief Minister also directed the officials
to provide LPG cylinders to the affected.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...