Flights to & from Srinagar Airport resume on Friday
Srinagar: Flights to and from Srinagar
International Airport will resume on Friday, a government
spokesman said today.
"The upgradation of the Airport is nearing completion
and all air services will resume with effect from September
17," the spokesman said.
The airport was closed for repair and upgradation on
September three and subsequently the air traffic was diverted
to Awantipora airbase, 32km from here.
The government suspended the air operations for three
days from the airbase beginning yesterday following
largescale complaints that airlines were cancelling flights
randomly without intimating the passengers.
The repair and upgradation of Srinagar International
Airport were earlier slated to be taken up in May but
rescheduled in the context of the summer tourist season, the
spokesman said adding accordingly, it was decided to take up
the work only from September three.
He said Chief Minister Omar Abdullah had taken up the
matter with Defence Minister A K Antony and Civil Aviation
Minister Praful Patel for operationalizing Awantipora airbase
from September three so that the people did not face any kind
of inconvenience in view of the holy month of Ramadan and the
Accordingly, all necessary arrangements were made at
Awantipora for keeping the air operations going between
September 3 to 12, the spokesman said.
However, he said that in view of the difficulties faced
by passengers in view of the prevailing law and order, causing
flight delays and resultig in long waiting hours for
passengers, the state government took the decision to suspend
air operations for three days from September 13.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India