Flights to & from Srinagar Airport resume on Friday
Srinagar: Flights to and from Srinagar
International Airport will resume on Friday, a government
spokesman said today.
"The upgradation of the Airport is nearing completion
and all air services will resume with effect from September
17," the spokesman said.
The airport was closed for repair and upgradation on
September three and subsequently the air traffic was diverted
to Awantipora airbase, 32km from here.
The government suspended the air operations for three
days from the airbase beginning yesterday following
largescale complaints that airlines were cancelling flights
randomly without intimating the passengers.
The repair and upgradation of Srinagar International
Airport were earlier slated to be taken up in May but
rescheduled in the context of the summer tourist season, the
spokesman said adding accordingly, it was decided to take up
the work only from September three.
He said Chief Minister Omar Abdullah had taken up the
matter with Defence Minister A K Antony and Civil Aviation
Minister Praful Patel for operationalizing Awantipora airbase
from September three so that the people did not face any kind
of inconvenience in view of the holy month of Ramadan and the
Accordingly, all necessary arrangements were made at
Awantipora for keeping the air operations going between
September 3 to 12, the spokesman said.
However, he said that in view of the difficulties faced
by passengers in view of the prevailing law and order, causing
flight delays and resultig in long waiting hours for
passengers, the state government took the decision to suspend
air operations for three days from September 13.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!