Flights to & from Srinagar Airport resume on Friday
Srinagar: Flights to and from Srinagar
International Airport will resume on Friday, a government
spokesman said today.
"The upgradation of the Airport is nearing completion
and all air services will resume with effect from September
17," the spokesman said.
The airport was closed for repair and upgradation on
September three and subsequently the air traffic was diverted
to Awantipora airbase, 32km from here.
The government suspended the air operations for three
days from the airbase beginning yesterday following
largescale complaints that airlines were cancelling flights
randomly without intimating the passengers.
The repair and upgradation of Srinagar International
Airport were earlier slated to be taken up in May but
rescheduled in the context of the summer tourist season, the
spokesman said adding accordingly, it was decided to take up
the work only from September three.
He said Chief Minister Omar Abdullah had taken up the
matter with Defence Minister A K Antony and Civil Aviation
Minister Praful Patel for operationalizing Awantipora airbase
from September three so that the people did not face any kind
of inconvenience in view of the holy month of Ramadan and the
Accordingly, all necessary arrangements were made at
Awantipora for keeping the air operations going between
September 3 to 12, the spokesman said.
However, he said that in view of the difficulties faced
by passengers in view of the prevailing law and order, causing
flight delays and resultig in long waiting hours for
passengers, the state government took the decision to suspend
air operations for three days from September 13.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof