Flights to & from Srinagar Airport resume on Friday
Srinagar: Flights to and from Srinagar
International Airport will resume on Friday, a government
spokesman said today.
"The upgradation of the Airport is nearing completion
and all air services will resume with effect from September
17," the spokesman said.
The airport was closed for repair and upgradation on
September three and subsequently the air traffic was diverted
to Awantipora airbase, 32km from here.
The government suspended the air operations for three
days from the airbase beginning yesterday following
largescale complaints that airlines were cancelling flights
randomly without intimating the passengers.
The repair and upgradation of Srinagar International
Airport were earlier slated to be taken up in May but
rescheduled in the context of the summer tourist season, the
spokesman said adding accordingly, it was decided to take up
the work only from September three.
He said Chief Minister Omar Abdullah had taken up the
matter with Defence Minister A K Antony and Civil Aviation
Minister Praful Patel for operationalizing Awantipora airbase
from September three so that the people did not face any kind
of inconvenience in view of the holy month of Ramadan and the
Accordingly, all necessary arrangements were made at
Awantipora for keeping the air operations going between
September 3 to 12, the spokesman said.
However, he said that in view of the difficulties faced
by passengers in view of the prevailing law and order, causing
flight delays and resultig in long waiting hours for
passengers, the state government took the decision to suspend
air operations for three days from September 13.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- LIVE CRICKET SCORE: ODI Tri-series final — West Indies vs Australia
- Haryana to be open-defecation free by December 2017: Khattar
- Earth's ancient magnetic field had more than two poles!
- VIDEOS: MS Dhoni's wife Sakshi shares her adorable moments with daughter Ziva
- 26/11 mastermind Hafiz Saeed announces 'jihad to free Pakistani rivers from India'