Floating protest: Kashmir houseboat owners cry foul
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir`s famed houseboats were the focus of a unique protest here on Monday with dozens of owners moving around in shikaras (boats) on the Jhelum river against the government`s decision to de-register damaged houseboats.
Houseboat owners carrying black flags and shouting slogans moved in the shikaras, wooden boats unique to Kashmir, on the Jhelum river circling the city.
"We are equally concerned with the beautification of Jhelum River, but the authorities have decided not to allow us repair our old houseboats. They have said 42 houseboats will be de-registered classifying them as shabby houseboats," said Muhammad Azim Tuman, chairperson of the local houseboat owners association.
He said the government`s compensation of Rs.3 lakh and three marlas, about 75 sq m, of land was inadequate.
The houseboats, he said, were registered in 1977. In 1982, the government banned new construction of houseboats, but existing houseboats were allowed to be repaired and reconstructed. There are about 500 houseboats operational in the Jhelum and the Dal and Nageen lakes.
"Now the authorities are telling us no repair or reconstruction of houseboats will be allowed. With such official apathy, we fear there won`t be any houseboats either in the Jhelum River or the Dal and Nigeen Lakes in the city after 20 years," said Tuman.
State government officials say houseboats a major source of pollution in the lakes and the river.
"There are high court orders on this. We have to follow the directives. There is a chalked out procedure for houseboat repair and the owners will have to follow the laid down procedure," said an official of the local tourism department here.
Houseboats, known as floating palaces, are a major tourist attraction in Srinagar city. They accommodate high-end tourists, honeymooners and budget holiday makers who flock to this picturesque hill city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22