Flood alert sounded in Srinagar
Srinagar: Authorities here Monday asked people living along the banks of River Jhelum to shift to safer places as a flood alarm was sounded in the city due to rising water level in the river following incessant rains.
River Jhelum is flowing above 16 feet in Ram Munshi Bagh area prompting the flood alarm, officials in the disaster management cell said.
"People living in temporary sheds along the banks of River Jhelum have been asked to shift to safer places," the officials said.
Incessant rains have been lashing Kashmir since Saturday night, which has led to sharp rise in water level in streams and rivulets across the valley.
Srinagar city has received 13.6 mm rainfall during the 24 hour period ending 8.30 AM this morning while Gulmarg tourist resort in north Kashmir recorded 39.2 mm rains during the period, an official of the MeT department said.
He said the gateway town of Qazigund in south Kashmir`s Anantnag district recorded 21.6 mm rainfall followed by Kupwara in north Kashmir at 20.9 mm and Pahalgam tourist resort at 11.6 mm.
The heavy downpour has resulted in a drastic drop in maximum temperature as Srinagar recorded a maximum temperature of 18.9 degrees Celsius yesterday, nine degrees below normal, the official said.
The rainfall has triggered concern among farmers as continued downpour can cause damage to paddy crops.
Yesterday, 33 nomads, trapped due to flash floods in Jammu and Kashmir`s Shopian district, were rescued by the army and the civil administration.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30