Flood alert sounded in Srinagar
Srinagar: Authorities here Monday asked people living along the banks of River Jhelum to shift to safer places as a flood alarm was sounded in the city due to rising water level in the river following incessant rains.
River Jhelum is flowing above 16 feet in Ram Munshi Bagh area prompting the flood alarm, officials in the disaster management cell said.
"People living in temporary sheds along the banks of River Jhelum have been asked to shift to safer places," the officials said.
Incessant rains have been lashing Kashmir since Saturday night, which has led to sharp rise in water level in streams and rivulets across the valley.
Srinagar city has received 13.6 mm rainfall during the 24 hour period ending 8.30 AM this morning while Gulmarg tourist resort in north Kashmir recorded 39.2 mm rains during the period, an official of the MeT department said.
He said the gateway town of Qazigund in south Kashmir`s Anantnag district recorded 21.6 mm rainfall followed by Kupwara in north Kashmir at 20.9 mm and Pahalgam tourist resort at 11.6 mm.
The heavy downpour has resulted in a drastic drop in maximum temperature as Srinagar recorded a maximum temperature of 18.9 degrees Celsius yesterday, nine degrees below normal, the official said.
The rainfall has triggered concern among farmers as continued downpour can cause damage to paddy crops.
Yesterday, 33 nomads, trapped due to flash floods in Jammu and Kashmir`s Shopian district, were rescued by the army and the civil administration.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!