Flood alert sounded in Srinagar
Srinagar: Authorities here Monday asked people living along the banks of River Jhelum to shift to safer places as a flood alarm was sounded in the city due to rising water level in the river following incessant rains.
River Jhelum is flowing above 16 feet in Ram Munshi Bagh area prompting the flood alarm, officials in the disaster management cell said.
"People living in temporary sheds along the banks of River Jhelum have been asked to shift to safer places," the officials said.
Incessant rains have been lashing Kashmir since Saturday night, which has led to sharp rise in water level in streams and rivulets across the valley.
Srinagar city has received 13.6 mm rainfall during the 24 hour period ending 8.30 AM this morning while Gulmarg tourist resort in north Kashmir recorded 39.2 mm rains during the period, an official of the MeT department said.
He said the gateway town of Qazigund in south Kashmir`s Anantnag district recorded 21.6 mm rainfall followed by Kupwara in north Kashmir at 20.9 mm and Pahalgam tourist resort at 11.6 mm.
The heavy downpour has resulted in a drastic drop in maximum temperature as Srinagar recorded a maximum temperature of 18.9 degrees Celsius yesterday, nine degrees below normal, the official said.
The rainfall has triggered concern among farmers as continued downpour can cause damage to paddy crops.
Yesterday, 33 nomads, trapped due to flash floods in Jammu and Kashmir`s Shopian district, were rescued by the army and the civil administration.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog