Forecast of moderate to heavy snow in Kashmir Valley
Srinagar: The weather office here on Monday forecast moderate to heavy snowfall across the Valley on Thursday and Friday, as a Western Disturbance (WD) approaches.
Sonam Lotus, the director of the local MET office, told a news agency: "Because of an approaching WD we are expecting moderate snowfall in the plains and rather heavy snow in the higher reaches of the Valley, especially on January 18.”
"Cloudiness will start increasing from January 16 as the WD is expected to become active over the state January 17 and 18."
WDs are extra tropical storms in the Mediterranean Sea, which result in sudden rain and snowfall in India, Nepal, Pakistan and Bangladesh.
Prospects of the rabi crop depend on WDs.
Despite an intense cold wave sweeping the Valley during the ongoing 40-day harsh period of winter known locally as `Chillai Kalan`, Kashmir is yet to witness a major snowfall that could replenish perennial water reservoirs in the mountains.
The Valley`s rivers, lakes, springs and streams depend for their summer discharge on these perennial water reservoirs.
The minimum temperature was 1.6 degrees Celsius in Srinagar on Monday.
It was zero degrees in Pahalgam, minus 8.6 in Gulmarg, minus 15.2 in Leh and minus 16.4 in Kargil towns.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next