Foreign Lashkar militant killed
Srinagar: A foreign militant of Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) was killed in an encounter with security forces in Sopore town of north Kashmir Baramulla district on Sunday.
Ikrama alias `Topiwalla` was killed while Showkat Ahmad who was acting as his guide was apprehended by troops of Rashtriy Rifles and Special Operations Group (SOG) of local police who had laid an ambush in the wee hours after receiving a tip off about movement of militants at Lathishat in Bomai area of Sopore, 60 kms from here, officials said.
As soon as the security forces noticed the militant, they asked him to surrender. However, the ultra opened firing while his accomplice, who was acting as guide, fled from the scene, they said.
The security forces nabbed the guide before taking on the militant.
In the exchange of gunfire, Ikrama alias `Topiwalla` was killed, officilas said adding he was affiliated to LeT.
One AK rifle and some ammunition has been recovered from the spot.
Ahmad was arrested under similar circumstances during an operation at Marbal in Sopore area couple of months earlier, the sources said adding he is being questioned by
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- Sweden, Kazakhstan, Ethiopia, Bolivia elected to UNSC for 2017-18
- Sturgeon to visit Brussels to defend Scotland`s EU place
- NATO, EU leaders pledge strong alliance to counter Brexit fallout
- EU leaders tell Britain to exit swiftly, market rout halts
- 'Beef smugglers' forced to eat cow dung in Faridabad