Foreign Lashkar militant killed
Srinagar: A foreign militant of Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) was killed in an encounter with security forces in Sopore town of north Kashmir Baramulla district on Sunday.
Ikrama alias `Topiwalla` was killed while Showkat Ahmad who was acting as his guide was apprehended by troops of Rashtriy Rifles and Special Operations Group (SOG) of local police who had laid an ambush in the wee hours after receiving a tip off about movement of militants at Lathishat in Bomai area of Sopore, 60 kms from here, officials said.
As soon as the security forces noticed the militant, they asked him to surrender. However, the ultra opened firing while his accomplice, who was acting as guide, fled from the scene, they said.
The security forces nabbed the guide before taking on the militant.
In the exchange of gunfire, Ikrama alias `Topiwalla` was killed, officilas said adding he was affiliated to LeT.
One AK rifle and some ammunition has been recovered from the spot.
Ahmad was arrested under similar circumstances during an operation at Marbal in Sopore area couple of months earlier, the sources said adding he is being questioned by
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM