Forgetting of Kashmir issue `beyond logic`: Syed Ali Shah Geelani
Srinagar: Hardline Hurriyat leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani on Tuesday said the mention of "forgetting of past" on Kashmir issue in the joint statement issued by foreign ministers of India and Pakistan in their recent meet was "beyond logic".
The "advice of forgetting the past" in the joint statement issued after the meeting between external Affairs Minister SM Krishna and his Pakistan counterpart Hina Rabbani Khar was "beyond logic", the Hurriyat leader said.
"The division of the subcontinent, which led to creation of India and Pakistan cannot be forgotten .... How can the historic background of Kashmir issue and the sacrifices of the people for right to self determination be forgotten," he said.
Instead of focusing on the Kashmir issue they gave importance to visa policy and improving trade ties, he said.
Geelani said the Centre was following its rigid stand on Kashmir and was propagating status quo through the dialogue process with Pakistan.
"Pakistan is providing justification for status quo through these talks and the change in her national policy towards Kashmir can be harmful for its own interests," he added.
Geelani said Pakistan as a nation should clarify whether the present policy with regard to ties with India is a matter of national policy or decision of a single party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?