Four-day-long Kashmir gunfight ends, toll 9
Srinagar: A gunfight between the security forces and separatist guerrillas in north Kashmir`s Kupwara district ended on the fourth day on Thursday and the bodies of five slain militants were retrieved from the site. Four security personnel were also killed.
"The four-day-long gunfight between the security forces and the militants in Awath Kul forests of north Kashmir`s Kupwara district ended this evening," a senior police officer said here.
"The bodies of five slain militants were retrieved from the encounter site along with their arms and ammunition.
"The bodies have been handed over to the local Auqaf committee for burial under Islamic rites," the officer said.
Two armymen, including a lieutenant, and two policemen were killed in the gunfight, which started in the densely forested area Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt