Four-day-long Kashmir gunfight ends, toll 9
Srinagar: A gunfight between the security forces and separatist guerrillas in north Kashmir`s Kupwara district ended on the fourth day on Thursday and the bodies of five slain militants were retrieved from the site. Four security personnel were also killed.
"The four-day-long gunfight between the security forces and the militants in Awath Kul forests of north Kashmir`s Kupwara district ended this evening," a senior police officer said here.
"The bodies of five slain militants were retrieved from the encounter site along with their arms and ammunition.
"The bodies have been handed over to the local Auqaf committee for burial under Islamic rites," the officer said.
Two armymen, including a lieutenant, and two policemen were killed in the gunfight, which started in the densely forested area Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement