Four killed, 20 injured in Jammu after Quran protests
Jammu: At least four people were killed and 20 injured in Jammu region`s Mendhar town Wednesday following clashes between police and crowds protesting the alleged desecration of the Quran in the US.
Irate mobs regrouped in the town and started targeting government buildings. The protestors attacked a police station and there were reports that the deaths triggered more protests in surrounding areas.
The administration has sought the help of paramilitary forces to contain the volatile situation in Mendhar, which is predominantly Muslim. Some of the injured are being shifted to hospitals in Rajouri and Jammu.
There were conflicting accounts of what led to the deaths in Mendhar, 210 km from here. While locals said the protestors died in police firing, police sources said they were killed in a stampede after police fired in the air.
The protests were against the alleged desecration of the Quran in the US last week. The demonstrators were intercepted by the police when they were proceeding towards a Christian missionary school.
The neighbouring town of Poonch where protests had broken out Tuesday continued to be tense, officials said.
Similar protests in the Kashmir Valley Wednesday led to mobs attacking a Christian missionary school and government buildings in Tangmarg town Monday. That day, 18 people were killed in the valley during protests that were initially triggered by fury over the reported desecration of the Quran.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed