Four persons booked under PSA after being acquitted in January
Srinagar: Four persons, including three
policemen who were acquitted by a local court of charges of
murdering a Jammu and Kashmir minister in 2002, have been
booked under Public Safety Act.
Deputy Commissioner Kupwara Mohammad Shafi Rather
confirmed the slapping of PSA on then Station House Officer
Sogam Ghulam Rasool, Head Constable Abdul Ahad, constable
Mohammad Rustum and a civilian Ghulam Nabir Pir.
Rather, however, refused to divulge the grounds on which
the four persons were booked under the PSA, saying "It is a
security matter and I am not authorised to speak on the
All the four were acquitted by a sessions court in
January this year of the charge of murdering then Minister
of State for Home Mushtaq Ahmad Lone in 2002.
"The prosecution has failed to prove the charges against
the accused, who are hence acquitted," the Sessions court said
in its order passed in January this year.
Lone was shot dead by militants while he was addressing
an election rally at Tekipora in Sogam area of Kupwara
district, 100 kms from here on September 11, 2002.
Two of his security guards were also killed in the
During the course of investigation, police arrested
the cops on charges of hatching criminal conspiracy with
Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) militants to kill the minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics?
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part II
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part III
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part IV
- Why is Mehbooba Mufti attacking Hindu beliefs for votes?
- Not just cash transactions, IT officials also tracking Facebook posts for foreign tour photos!
- Denmark bags Europe's maiden Thomas Cup title
- Understanding Olympics qualification: How MC Mary Kom can still go to Rio 2016, with some luck
- Indian Premier League 2016: Kolkata Knight Riders beat Sunrisers Hyderabad by 22 runs, march into playoffs
- Three men held for attacking BJP MP Tarun Vijay