Four stamps released on Vivekananda`s 150th birth
Jammu: The Department of Posts (DoP) on Saturday released four special postage stamps and the First Day Cover on Swami Vivekananda on his 150th birth anniversary.
Chief Postmaster General Jammu and Kashmir John Samuel today released the stamps and cover on Vivekananda at a simple but impressive function held at Gandhi Nagar Head Post Office here today.
These stamps have been brought out by India Post to commemorate the 150th Birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda whom the world acknowledges as great visionary, philosopher and thinker.
The stamps and the first day cover were presented to Swami Girijashananda, Secretary Swami Rama Krishna Mission by CPMG.
Speaking on the occasion John Samuel said the relevance of Vivekananda`s philosophy has been accepted by the entire world and release of postage on Swami is the best way to communicate his teachings among the common masses.
The department has already released two stamps on Vivekananda in 1963 and 1993. Further special stamp has also been released on Vivekananda Rock Memorial in Tamilnadu in 1996.
Sri Lanka post has also issued a special stamp on Vivekananda in 1997.
Department is bringing out number of stamps every year on popular themes and during the last year it has brought stamps on festival of lights Deepawali, Lighthouses of India, London Olympics, Shekawati Painintings, 800th Urs of Dargah Sharif, Ajmer, Civil Aviation Centenary, Indo-Tibetan Border Police, he said.
Chief Postmaster General also informed Department will be bringing out stamps on the Basilica of Vailankanni (Tamil Nadu) during the January-2013.
The new stamps and first day cover released are available at Philatelic Bureau, Gandhi Nagar Head Post Office in Jammu and Srinagar GPO in Srinagar, he said.
Philatelists and others who are interested in getting stamps on regular basis may deposit rupees 200 towards philately deposit account and the stamps will be sent to them every month through registered post and the postage will be free, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical