Four top Hizbul militants surrender in J&K
Srinagar: Four top militants of Hizbul
Mujahideen outfit, including a self divisional commander,
on Thursday surrendered before police in Kulgam district of south
"Police achieved a major success by forcing the surrender
of longest surviving and only active militant group of Hizbul
Mujahideen Pir Panchal Regiment (HMPPR) in the state at
Kulgam," a police spokesman said.
He said the surrender of the militants came after joint
operations conducted by police, army and CRPF in Kulgam and
Reasi districts on either side of Pir Panjal Mountain Range.
The surrendered militants have been identified as
Mohammad Rafiq Sheikh alias Basharat, Bashir Ahmad alias
Rashid, Mohammad Maqbool alias Majid and Mohammad Shafi alias
All the four militants hail from Reasi district in
Jammu region and Sheikh was the divisional commander of the
outfit, the spokesman said.
The surrendered militants handed over two AK-47 rifles,
seven magazines, one under barrel grenade launcher, five under
barrel grenades, 118 AK rounds, one wireless set, one mobile
phone, one battery and three pouches.
He said at least five cases are already registered
against this group.
"They are also involved in a number of cases in Reasi
and Ramban districts. The militants are being questioned to
know the details of whole militant network in Pir Panchal
Range," the spokesman added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog