Fresh firing on fifth day of Kupwara gunbattle
Srinagar: The fierce gunbattle between
militants and security forces in forests of north Kashmir`s
Kupwara district, which has left five ultras and four security
personnel dead, entered into fifth day today.
"There has been fresh exchange of firing between the two
sides in the wee hours," Army said.
Army said there was a lull in the exchange of hostilities
last evening but militants again opened fire on security
forces, who were combing Shamsabari forests in Kupwara.
So far, five militants, two army personnel and as many
policemen have been killed in the operation that began on
The encounter broke out at Awathkul in Shamsabari forest
area of Kralapora, 130 km from here, on Monday when police
assisted by Army launched a search operation following tip-off
about presence of heavily-armed militants.
Two to three militants, who were believed to have escaped
from the scene of gunbattle, have shifted their positions and
engaged the security forces again this morning.
The Army said further details of the operation were
awaited as the scene of action is a treacherous terrain
located deep inside forest area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi