Fresh snowfall blocks Srinagar-Jammu highway
Srinagar: Fresh snowfall across the Kashmir Valley on Saturday blocked the Srinagar-Jammu highway and an avalanche warning has been issued for people living in the higher reaches, an official said.
"Fresh heavy snowfall started in the Bannihal sector of the Srinagar-Jammu highway during the night and is still continuing. The highway has been closed for traffic and people intending to undertake travel on the highway must contact the traffic control room before moving on the road," an official of the traffic department said here.
TPS Rawat, chief engineer of the Border Roads Organisation (BRO), said the road clearance operation would start after the snowfall stops in Bannihal and Patnitop sectors.
The weather office has forecast moderate and heavy snowfall in many places in the Valley Saturday and Sunday.
"The snowfall would be rather heavy in the Pir Panchal mountain range and north Kashmir`s Gulmarg. The western disturbance presently active over the state is likely to weaken from Feb 6 onwards," said Sonam Lotus, director of the local meteorological office.
The provincial disaster management cell has issued an avalanche warning for the higher reaches of Machil, Keran, Tanghdhar, Chowkibal, Gurez and Uri.
People living in these avalanche prone areas have been advised not to move out of their homes and exercise caution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown