Fresh snowfall blocks Srinagar-Jammu NH
Srinagar: The strategic Srinagar-Jammu highway was closed for vehicular traffic Friday morning following fresh snowfall in the Jawahar Tunnel area of the road.
TPS Rawat, chief engineer of project Beacon, which maintains the over 300-km long highway, said, "Fresh snowfall has started in the Banihal sector of the Srinagar-Jammu highway and we have closed the road to ensure the safety of passengers."
"I am moving out to take stock of the situation. People intending to travel on the highway are requested to contact the traffic authorities or view the latest status of the road at our digital travel advisory."
The Srinagar-Jammu highway is the only road link of the valley with the rest of the country. All essential supplies are routed to the valley along this road.
The road often gets blocked during the winter months due to heavy snowfall or landslides. The Beacon authorities move out road clearance machinery immediately to reopen the crucial highway.
"Road clearance will be undertaken after the snowfall stops," an official of the organisation said here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Congress demands Sushma Swaraj's resignation over Lalit Modi's job offer to her husband
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident