Fresh snowfall brings in colder day temperatures
Srinagar: Kashmir Valley reeled under intense cold following a dip in the day temperatures due to fresh snowfall in the high altitude areas.
One inch of fresh snow was recorded this morning at the famous ski resort of Gulmarg, the coldest place in the valley, a MeT department spokesman said.
It had witnessed nearly two feet of snow earlier this week, much to the delight of tourists visiting to experience the white flakes from the blue.
The peripheral areas of Gulmarg and other high altitude areas including Gurez, Z-gali, Sonamarg, Amarnath cave shrine, Peer Ki Gali and Yousmarg hills also experienced a renewed spell of snowfall.
The sky remained overcast in view of the western disturbance, resulting in a dip in day temperatures over the past couple of days, he said.
Srinagar recorded a maximum of 7.4 degrees Celsius yesterday - the season`s second lowest so far. The lowest maximum temperature here was registered on November 29 when the mercury dipped to 6.3 degrees Celsius.
However, the prevailing weather conditions have resulted in remarkable rise in night temperatures which settled above freezing point in most of the plains.
Srinagar recorded a low of 1.6 degrees Celsius, compared to the season`s lowest of minus 2.9 on Tuesday.
Gulmarg was the coldest place in the valley where the night temperature settled at minus 3.4 degrees Celsius, the spokesman said.
Leh in frontier region of Ladakh was the coldest place in the state with a low of minus 8.8 degrees Celsius despite an improvement of five degrees over the past couple of days.
Kargil was freezing at minus 5.4 degrees Celsius, the spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof