Fresh snowfall closes Srinagar-Jammu highway
Srinagar: The Srinagar-Jammu highway was closed on Monday morning following fresh snowfall in the Bannihal sector of the over 300-kilometre road.
Officials of the Border Roads Organisation said on Monday that there was fresh snowfall during the night in the Bannihal sector of the strategic Srinagar-Jammu highway.
"The highway has been closed for vehicular traffic because of snowfall in Bannihal. It is snowing at this time too. Road clearance operation would start once snowfall stops," an official said.
Reports said many vehicles carrying passengers and goods have been stranded on the highway.
The Srinagar-Jammu highway is the landlocked Valley`s only road link to the rest of the country. All essential supplies are routed to Kashmir through this highway. Temporary closures of the highway invariably result in unscrupulous traders resorting to hoarding and profiteering.
The weather department has forecast widespread rain and snowfall in the Valley on Monday, set to continue till February 07.
An adverse weather advisory issued by Sonam Lotus, the director of the local MET office, had said last week that heavy to very snowfall, especially in the Pir Panjal Mountain Range in the Valley, could disrupt air and surface transport.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- Wimbledon 2015: Sania Mirza, Rohan Bopanna through to quarters, Paes' campaign ends