Fresh snowfall closes Srinagar-Jammu highway
Srinagar: The Srinagar-Jammu highway was closed on Monday morning following fresh snowfall in the Bannihal sector of the over 300-kilometre road.
Officials of the Border Roads Organisation said on Monday that there was fresh snowfall during the night in the Bannihal sector of the strategic Srinagar-Jammu highway.
"The highway has been closed for vehicular traffic because of snowfall in Bannihal. It is snowing at this time too. Road clearance operation would start once snowfall stops," an official said.
Reports said many vehicles carrying passengers and goods have been stranded on the highway.
The Srinagar-Jammu highway is the landlocked Valley`s only road link to the rest of the country. All essential supplies are routed to Kashmir through this highway. Temporary closures of the highway invariably result in unscrupulous traders resorting to hoarding and profiteering.
The weather department has forecast widespread rain and snowfall in the Valley on Monday, set to continue till February 07.
An adverse weather advisory issued by Sonam Lotus, the director of the local MET office, had said last week that heavy to very snowfall, especially in the Pir Panjal Mountain Range in the Valley, could disrupt air and surface transport.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Mumbai High court allows entry of women in Haji Ali Dargah
- DNA: Analysis of fraudulent doctor in Noida treating patients with wrong treatment
- DNA: Analyzing Balochistan's citizens struggle for freedom
- DNA: Two Syrian boys grieving death of brother killed in airstrike
- DNA: Analyzing world's first driverless taxi developed by Singapore company
- Jigisha killer Ravi Kapoor convicted in taxi-driver murder case
- Records aside, US Open getting personal for Serena Williams
- World Risk Report 2016: India ranks 77th in world disaster risk index
- SC restrains Tamil Nadu Police from arresting expelled AIADMK MP
- Swaraj seeks report from Indian consulate on death of workers