Fresh snowfall in Kashmir Valley
Srinagar:Fresh snowfall in the higher reaches Tuesday brought down the temperatures in the Kashmir Valley giving residents a feeling of the winter setting in earlier than scheduled.
"The minimum temperature fell to 8.2 degrees Celsius in Srinagar today (Monday). It was 5.1 degrees Celsius in Pahalgam and 1.3 degrees Celsius in Gulmarg which is three degrees less than normal," an official of the weather office told IANS.
"The minimum temperature in the Leh town was 3.2 degrees Celsius, while it was 3.4 degrees Celsius in Kargil town of the state`s Ladakh region," the official said.
The official also confirmed light snowfall in the south and north Kashmir mountains which has brought down the temperatures in the plains.
"There has been fresh snowfall in the higher reaches of the Valley in both south and north areas. This has send in cold winds into the plains thereby bringing down the temperatures," the official said.
Kashmiris believe winter is going to be harsh this year since the summer was hotter than usual in 2012.
"Normally, winter sets in by December, but this year it appears it has come much earlier. It appears we are in for a harsh winter since people have already started using woolens," said Ali Muhammad, 65, a resident of central Badgam district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley