Fresh snowfall in Ladakh, rain in Kashmir
Srinagar: As fresh snowfall lashed the Ladakh region, the minimum temperature dropped to minus 3.8 degrees Celsius in Kargil town Monday, making it the coldest in Jammu and Kashmir.
"The minimum temperature was minus 3.8 degrees in Kargil town as fresh snowfall occurred in Drass, Zanskar and Leh in the Ladakh region. The minimum temperature was 6.6 in Srinagar, 3.0 in Pahalgam, 2.2 in Gulmarg and 1.0 degrees in Leh today," said an official of the Met office here.
The Met office has forecast rain and thundershowers at many places in Kashmir Valley during the next 12 hours.
Due to inclement weather, all flights to Leh have been cancelled as scores of tourists are reported to be stranded there.
The Srinagar-Leh highway passes through the Zojila Pass at 3,528 metres above sea level and remains closed for six months a year due to heavy snowfall.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday