Fresh snowfall in upper reaches of Kashmir
Srinagar: High altitude areas of Kashmir
including skiing resort Gulmarg on Friday received fresh snowfall,
even as the night temperature inched up in most parts of the
Snowfall started in the late afternoon, official sources
said, adding that Jawahar tunnel, the gateway to Kashmir, also
had snowfall prompting authorities to stop traffic on the
Srinagar-Jammu national highway.
The movement of traffic has been stopped temporarily
along the Qazigund-Banihal axis on the highway, the only road
linking Kashmir with rest of the country, they said.
The MeT office has predicted moderate to heavy snowfall
in most parts of the Kashmir Valley between February 3 and 7.
The administration has geared up the machinery to meet
any eventuality arising due to expected snowfall over the next
The night temperature in most places including Srinagar
registered an increase of several notches and moved above the
freezing point for the first time in over a month.
The minimum temperature recorded in Srinagar was 2
degrees Celsius, still four degrees below normal during this
part of the season, a spokesman of the MET office said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border