Fresh snowfall in upper reaches of Kashmir
Srinagar: High altitude areas of Kashmir
including skiing resort Gulmarg on Friday received fresh snowfall,
even as the night temperature inched up in most parts of the
Snowfall started in the late afternoon, official sources
said, adding that Jawahar tunnel, the gateway to Kashmir, also
had snowfall prompting authorities to stop traffic on the
Srinagar-Jammu national highway.
The movement of traffic has been stopped temporarily
along the Qazigund-Banihal axis on the highway, the only road
linking Kashmir with rest of the country, they said.
The MeT office has predicted moderate to heavy snowfall
in most parts of the Kashmir Valley between February 3 and 7.
The administration has geared up the machinery to meet
any eventuality arising due to expected snowfall over the next
The night temperature in most places including Srinagar
registered an increase of several notches and moved above the
freezing point for the first time in over a month.
The minimum temperature recorded in Srinagar was 2
degrees Celsius, still four degrees below normal during this
part of the season, a spokesman of the MET office said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"
- JNU protest: Kejriwal hits out at PM Modi, says targetting innocents will prove costly to him