‘Frisking of MLAs may be allowed on security grounds’
Srinagar: A day after three youths jumped in the well of the House, Speaker of Jammu and Kashmir Assembly Mohammad Akbar Lone on Tuesday said he would allow frisking of all MLAs if the security staff inside the assembly complex feel it necessary.
"There will be no compromise on security. Even the MLAs will be subjected to frisking if the security staff feel it (necessary)," Lone said.
The speaker was reacting to objections raised by independent MLA Sheikh Abdul Rashid to security staff not allowing his personal staff to the public gallery even after having a valid pass.
"I have the power to withdraw the passes," Lone said leading to verbal duel between him and the MLA.
Rashid continued to agitate over the matter saying "only 86 persons (MLAs) sitting here are trustworthy. Rest all are suspects."
The speaker said, "Who do we trust? An MLA who does not accept the constitution! If you want plebiscite, look for it on the other side. Stop this drama, you are waisting the time of the house."
As the Independent MLA staged a walkout from the house, Lone accused him of playing to the galleries.
Later, the speaker had another verbal duel with PDP MLA Zulfikar Ali after Lone rejected a motion for amendment to his own bill submitted in the house during last session.
The speaker rejected the amendment motion on the grounds that the MLA had submitted it before the secretary and not directly to him.
"Henceforth all the bills should be submitted to the Speaker and not the Secretary of the assembly. I will not allow anyone to delegate my powers to someone else," Lone said.
The speaker warned the Secretary not to entertain any bills in future.
Three youths created a flutter in the Jammu and Kashmir Assembly yesterday when they suddenly jumped in the well of the House and raised slogans demanding implementation of employment policy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan