‘Frisking of MLAs may be allowed on security grounds’
Srinagar: A day after three youths jumped in the well of the House, Speaker of Jammu and Kashmir Assembly Mohammad Akbar Lone on Tuesday said he would allow frisking of all MLAs if the security staff inside the assembly complex feel it necessary.
"There will be no compromise on security. Even the MLAs will be subjected to frisking if the security staff feel it (necessary)," Lone said.
The speaker was reacting to objections raised by independent MLA Sheikh Abdul Rashid to security staff not allowing his personal staff to the public gallery even after having a valid pass.
"I have the power to withdraw the passes," Lone said leading to verbal duel between him and the MLA.
Rashid continued to agitate over the matter saying "only 86 persons (MLAs) sitting here are trustworthy. Rest all are suspects."
The speaker said, "Who do we trust? An MLA who does not accept the constitution! If you want plebiscite, look for it on the other side. Stop this drama, you are waisting the time of the house."
As the Independent MLA staged a walkout from the house, Lone accused him of playing to the galleries.
Later, the speaker had another verbal duel with PDP MLA Zulfikar Ali after Lone rejected a motion for amendment to his own bill submitted in the house during last session.
The speaker rejected the amendment motion on the grounds that the MLA had submitted it before the secretary and not directly to him.
"Henceforth all the bills should be submitted to the Speaker and not the Secretary of the assembly. I will not allow anyone to delegate my powers to someone else," Lone said.
The speaker warned the Secretary not to entertain any bills in future.
Three youths created a flutter in the Jammu and Kashmir Assembly yesterday when they suddenly jumped in the well of the House and raised slogans demanding implementation of employment policy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video