Functioning of police, security forces being reoriented: Vohra
Jammu: Jammu and Kashmir Governor N N Vohra on Monday said the functioning of police and security forces was
being reoriented to deal with stone-pelting agitations and mob
violence in the state.
Security forces have also been directed to strictly
observe the Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) while carrying
out anti-terrorist operations, Vohra said addressing a joint
sitting of state legislature on the opening day of the budget
"In pursuance of my government`s commitment to ensure
zero tolerance of human rights violations, all security forces
have been directed to most strictly observe the Standard
Operating Procedures while carrying out anti-terrorist
operations in any part of the state.
"Side by side, the functioning of the state police and
security forces personnel is being reoriented to deal with
stone-pelting agitations and mob violence without the
application of excessive force," he said.
The Governor said prolonged disturbances during the last
summer resulted in the loss of innocent lives, large scale
economic loss and irreparable damage to education due to
closure of the educational institutes.
"I convey my sincere sympathy to all those who lost
their near and dear ones and urge all segments of society to
seriously ponder over the factors which led to this turmoil.
"Whatever be our differences and disagreements there
cannot be any justification whatsoever for ruining academic
prospects of the entire student community in Kashmir," he
said, adding partisan approaches must not be allowed to
repeatedly disrupt normalcy and ruin the future of our youths.
"It has been my firm belief that agitation and
confrontation cannot resolve issues involving contrary
positions. Conciliation and dialogue have been, and will
always remain, the best means for seeking a solution to any
contentious issue," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown