Functioning of police, security forces being reoriented: Vohra
Jammu: Jammu and Kashmir Governor N N Vohra on Monday said the functioning of police and security forces was
being reoriented to deal with stone-pelting agitations and mob
violence in the state.
Security forces have also been directed to strictly
observe the Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) while carrying
out anti-terrorist operations, Vohra said addressing a joint
sitting of state legislature on the opening day of the budget
"In pursuance of my government`s commitment to ensure
zero tolerance of human rights violations, all security forces
have been directed to most strictly observe the Standard
Operating Procedures while carrying out anti-terrorist
operations in any part of the state.
"Side by side, the functioning of the state police and
security forces personnel is being reoriented to deal with
stone-pelting agitations and mob violence without the
application of excessive force," he said.
The Governor said prolonged disturbances during the last
summer resulted in the loss of innocent lives, large scale
economic loss and irreparable damage to education due to
closure of the educational institutes.
"I convey my sincere sympathy to all those who lost
their near and dear ones and urge all segments of society to
seriously ponder over the factors which led to this turmoil.
"Whatever be our differences and disagreements there
cannot be any justification whatsoever for ruining academic
prospects of the entire student community in Kashmir," he
said, adding partisan approaches must not be allowed to
repeatedly disrupt normalcy and ruin the future of our youths.
"It has been my firm belief that agitation and
confrontation cannot resolve issues involving contrary
positions. Conciliation and dialogue have been, and will
always remain, the best means for seeking a solution to any
contentious issue," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what