Functioning of police, security forces being reoriented: Vohra
Jammu: Jammu and Kashmir Governor N N Vohra on Monday said the functioning of police and security forces was
being reoriented to deal with stone-pelting agitations and mob
violence in the state.
Security forces have also been directed to strictly
observe the Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) while carrying
out anti-terrorist operations, Vohra said addressing a joint
sitting of state legislature on the opening day of the budget
"In pursuance of my government`s commitment to ensure
zero tolerance of human rights violations, all security forces
have been directed to most strictly observe the Standard
Operating Procedures while carrying out anti-terrorist
operations in any part of the state.
"Side by side, the functioning of the state police and
security forces personnel is being reoriented to deal with
stone-pelting agitations and mob violence without the
application of excessive force," he said.
The Governor said prolonged disturbances during the last
summer resulted in the loss of innocent lives, large scale
economic loss and irreparable damage to education due to
closure of the educational institutes.
"I convey my sincere sympathy to all those who lost
their near and dear ones and urge all segments of society to
seriously ponder over the factors which led to this turmoil.
"Whatever be our differences and disagreements there
cannot be any justification whatsoever for ruining academic
prospects of the entire student community in Kashmir," he
said, adding partisan approaches must not be allowed to
repeatedly disrupt normalcy and ruin the future of our youths.
"It has been my firm belief that agitation and
confrontation cannot resolve issues involving contrary
positions. Conciliation and dialogue have been, and will
always remain, the best means for seeking a solution to any
contentious issue," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!