‘Funds squandered on comforts of ruling class’
Srinagar: Hardline separatist leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani on Sunday claimed that "very little amount" of the state budget was spent on developmental works" and alleged that a bulk of the funds were squandered on comforts of the ruling class.
Commenting on the road accident in which a youth was run over by an army vehicle yesterday in Anantnag, Geelani said the condition of roads in the state are same as was "in 1947". "The roads should be widened to avoid such accidents," the Hurriyat Conference chairman said.
A youth died yesterday in south Kashmir`s Anantnag district when he was run over by an army truck leading to violent protests in the area during which angry crowds burnt down the truck.
Geelani, a three-time MLA from Sopore, said traffic accidents are caused because a "large amount of Jammu and Kashmir budget" is spent on the comforts of the ministers and assembly members.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi