‘Funds squandered on comforts of ruling class’
Srinagar: Hardline separatist leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani on Sunday claimed that "very little amount" of the state budget was spent on developmental works" and alleged that a bulk of the funds were squandered on comforts of the ruling class.
Commenting on the road accident in which a youth was run over by an army vehicle yesterday in Anantnag, Geelani said the condition of roads in the state are same as was "in 1947". "The roads should be widened to avoid such accidents," the Hurriyat Conference chairman said.
A youth died yesterday in south Kashmir`s Anantnag district when he was run over by an army truck leading to violent protests in the area during which angry crowds burnt down the truck.
Geelani, a three-time MLA from Sopore, said traffic accidents are caused because a "large amount of Jammu and Kashmir budget" is spent on the comforts of the ministers and assembly members.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Italy mourns quake victims, death toll rises to 291
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport