‘Funds squandered on comforts of ruling class’
Srinagar: Hardline separatist leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani on Sunday claimed that "very little amount" of the state budget was spent on developmental works" and alleged that a bulk of the funds were squandered on comforts of the ruling class.
Commenting on the road accident in which a youth was run over by an army vehicle yesterday in Anantnag, Geelani said the condition of roads in the state are same as was "in 1947". "The roads should be widened to avoid such accidents," the Hurriyat Conference chairman said.
A youth died yesterday in south Kashmir`s Anantnag district when he was run over by an army truck leading to violent protests in the area during which angry crowds burnt down the truck.
Geelani, a three-time MLA from Sopore, said traffic accidents are caused because a "large amount of Jammu and Kashmir budget" is spent on the comforts of the ministers and assembly members.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened