‘Funds squandered on comforts of ruling class’
Srinagar: Hardline separatist leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani on Sunday claimed that "very little amount" of the state budget was spent on developmental works" and alleged that a bulk of the funds were squandered on comforts of the ruling class.
Commenting on the road accident in which a youth was run over by an army vehicle yesterday in Anantnag, Geelani said the condition of roads in the state are same as was "in 1947". "The roads should be widened to avoid such accidents," the Hurriyat Conference chairman said.
A youth died yesterday in south Kashmir`s Anantnag district when he was run over by an army truck leading to violent protests in the area during which angry crowds burnt down the truck.
Geelani, a three-time MLA from Sopore, said traffic accidents are caused because a "large amount of Jammu and Kashmir budget" is spent on the comforts of the ministers and assembly members.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Will wipe out BJP and Congress from the country: Akbaruddin Owaisi
- Ahead of 'Kashmir Solidarity Day', Hafiz Saeed's JuD releases controversial video featuring Pakistani Army chief
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- Ravindra Jadeja: Indian all-rounder to get engaged today