‘Funds squandered on comforts of ruling class’
Srinagar: Hardline separatist leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani on Sunday claimed that "very little amount" of the state budget was spent on developmental works" and alleged that a bulk of the funds were squandered on comforts of the ruling class.
Commenting on the road accident in which a youth was run over by an army vehicle yesterday in Anantnag, Geelani said the condition of roads in the state are same as was "in 1947". "The roads should be widened to avoid such accidents," the Hurriyat Conference chairman said.
A youth died yesterday in south Kashmir`s Anantnag district when he was run over by an army truck leading to violent protests in the area during which angry crowds burnt down the truck.
Geelani, a three-time MLA from Sopore, said traffic accidents are caused because a "large amount of Jammu and Kashmir budget" is spent on the comforts of the ministers and assembly members.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- West Indies vs India 2016: I'm not too worried about my form, says Cheteshwar Pujara
- Maruti to transport vehicles on water!
- Five key moments at the Democratic convention Arrived
- PoK continues to remains tense over rigged election; locals burn Pakistani flag in Neelam Valley
- Rio Olympics 2016: Usain Bolt eyes 'triple triple' after fitness scare