Gaw Kadal massacre anniversary: Shutdown in Srinagar
Srinagar: Shops and business establishments remained closed in areas around Gaw Kadal in the commercial hub of Jammu and Kashmir`s winter capital here to mark 23rd anniversary of the killing of over 20 civilians in 1990.
A separatist outfit People`s Political Party (PPP) had called for a shutdown in Civil Lines areas of Srinagar City today to mark the 23rd anniversary of Gaw Kadal killings allegedly by security forces.
Shops and business establishments in the Civil Lines areas of summer capital of Srinagar including Lal Chowk, Budshah Chowk, Maisuma Bazar, Gawkadal, Residency Road and Abi Guzar remained closed.
However, traffic was plying normally.
Over 20 civilians fell to the bullets when security forces allegedly opened fire on a procession at Gaw Kadal on January 21, 1990.
However, separatist outfits claim that more than 50 persons died in the firing incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- Divyansh Kakrora's death: Probe nails Ryan International School for glaring lapses; father alleges child was sodomised before murder
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step