Gaw Kadal massacre anniversary: Shutdown in Srinagar
Srinagar: Shops and business establishments remained closed in areas around Gaw Kadal in the commercial hub of Jammu and Kashmir`s winter capital here to mark 23rd anniversary of the killing of over 20 civilians in 1990.
A separatist outfit People`s Political Party (PPP) had called for a shutdown in Civil Lines areas of Srinagar City today to mark the 23rd anniversary of Gaw Kadal killings allegedly by security forces.
Shops and business establishments in the Civil Lines areas of summer capital of Srinagar including Lal Chowk, Budshah Chowk, Maisuma Bazar, Gawkadal, Residency Road and Abi Guzar remained closed.
However, traffic was plying normally.
Over 20 civilians fell to the bullets when security forces allegedly opened fire on a procession at Gaw Kadal on January 21, 1990.
However, separatist outfits claim that more than 50 persons died in the firing incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Microsoft to cut additional 2,850 jobs from smartphone sector
- Interesting numbers on India's beggar population out! How do Hindus and Muslims fare? - Read
- Turkey military purge harming fight against Islamic State: Clapper
- Behind the scenes: Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel will show you how to have fun – Watch
- Al Qaeda and Syria branch split up