Geelani aide chargesheeted in hawala case
New Delhi: A close aide of fire-brand
Hurriyat leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani is among four persons
chargesheeted by National Investigation Agency in connection
with alleged hawala racket used to channelise money to
terrorists of Hizbul Mujahideen in the Kashmir Valley.
The chargesheet names Ghulam Mohammed Bhat, said to be
the right-hand man of Geelani, along with three other
accomplices, including Mohd Sidiq Ganai, who had allegedly
collected over Rs 4.57 crore during a period of three years
from January, 2008 through hawala channels from Pakistan for
promoting "terrorist" activities in the valley.
"The investigation has disclosed that four arrested
accused acted as a gang and indulged in unlawful activities
pursuant to criminal conspiracy and mobilised/raised funds for
terrorist activities and thereby they committed offences under
the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act," said the NIA in its
The chargesheet, filed by NIA DSP K S Thakur, said
that "funds through hawala channels were being sent to Jammu
and Kashmir for funding terror and secessionist acts in the
state and Pakistan-based Maqbool Pandit, a member of banned
Hizbul Mujahideen, and Aizaz Maqbool Bhat, at present living
in Saudi Arabia, were the key accused behind it."
Special judge H S Sharma took the charge sheet on record
for taking cognisance and issuing summons to the accused who
are at present lodged in Tihar jail here.
Geelani`s close aide Bhat was arrested from the Valley
in January and Police from Delhi and Jammu and Kashmir
allegedly recovered Rs 21 lakh from him which was supposed to
be meant for distribution to separatist and terror groups in
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!