Geelani donates property to trust consisting kith and kin
Srinagar: The issue of donation of property by Hurriyat Conference leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani to a trust has taken a new twist with Jamaat-e-Islami claiming ownership of the property.
JEI, a socio-religious political organisation to which Geelani was affiliated for several decades before forming his own party in 2004-05, snubbed the octogenarian leader claiming the ownership of the donated property.
"The property at Rehmatabad (locality of) Hyderpora currently being used by Syed Ali Geelani for residential and official purposes actually belongs to Jama`at-e-Islami Jammu and Kashmir and after Geelani Sahib, Jama`at will be authorised to take any decision about it," the JEI said in a statement.
It has also decided to send a delegation with a letter of Jamaat Chief to Geelani to verify the facts regarding the donation of the said property to the trust.
Geelani`s elder son Naem Zaffar Geelani and his son-in-law Altaf Ahmad Shah are among the eight trustees of `Mili Trust`, formed on December 13, 2013, according to the trust deed registered in a local court.
The other members of the "Milli trust" include Geelani`s close associates Mohammad Ashraf Khan, alias Seharai, Shah Wali Mohammad, Raja Mehraj-ud-din Kalwal, Mohammad Akbar Khanday, alias Ayaz Akbar, Bashir Ahmad Bhat, alias Peer Saifullah and Mohammad Yousuf Sofi, alias Mujahid.
Geelani announced donating his residential and office property, located in the posh Hyderpora area on the Srinagar Airport road, to the trust as his "stand for accountability".
While Geelani`s son Naem is a doctor by profession who returned to Kashmir in November 2010 from Pakistan after living there for a decade, his son-in-law Shah is a businessman as well as a lawyer.
Geelani is the founder trustee as well as the patron and lifelong chairman of the newly-formed trust.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list