Geelani hails Verma panel`s recommendation on AFSPA
Srinagar: Hardline Hurriyat Conference chairman Syed Ali Geelani has hailed the recommendations of Justice J S Verma Commission regarding the review of AFSPA and remarks with regards to armed forces personnel guilty of sexual crimes, saying it is justified and a welcome step.
"Though the (armed) forces, paramilitary and police personnel are involved in hundreds of sexual assaults and brutal gang rapes, the authorities at all levels have ignored calls for free and fair trials of those involved in heinous crime.
"The remarks of Justice Verma Commission on Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) are a welcome step," Geelani said in a statement here.
He expressed doubt that the government will take the recommendations of Justice Verma panel seriously and take steps to implement these in letter and spirit.
"It is quite evident that Centre in no case would allow to investigate any such case against its forces," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days