Geelani hails Verma panel`s recommendation on AFSPA
Srinagar: Hardline Hurriyat Conference chairman Syed Ali Geelani has hailed the recommendations of Justice J S Verma Commission regarding the review of AFSPA and remarks with regards to armed forces personnel guilty of sexual crimes, saying it is justified and a welcome step.
"Though the (armed) forces, paramilitary and police personnel are involved in hundreds of sexual assaults and brutal gang rapes, the authorities at all levels have ignored calls for free and fair trials of those involved in heinous crime.
"The remarks of Justice Verma Commission on Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) are a welcome step," Geelani said in a statement here.
He expressed doubt that the government will take the recommendations of Justice Verma panel seriously and take steps to implement these in letter and spirit.
"It is quite evident that Centre in no case would allow to investigate any such case against its forces," he added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview