Geelani hails Verma panel`s recommendation on AFSPA
Srinagar: Hardline Hurriyat Conference chairman Syed Ali Geelani has hailed the recommendations of Justice J S Verma Commission regarding the review of AFSPA and remarks with regards to armed forces personnel guilty of sexual crimes, saying it is justified and a welcome step.
"Though the (armed) forces, paramilitary and police personnel are involved in hundreds of sexual assaults and brutal gang rapes, the authorities at all levels have ignored calls for free and fair trials of those involved in heinous crime.
"The remarks of Justice Verma Commission on Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) are a welcome step," Geelani said in a statement here.
He expressed doubt that the government will take the recommendations of Justice Verma panel seriously and take steps to implement these in letter and spirit.
"It is quite evident that Centre in no case would allow to investigate any such case against its forces," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj