Geelani is guilty of contempt of court, says VHP
Jammu: The Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) on Thursday sought action against separatist leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani, accusing him of contempt of court for remarks he made on a Supreme Court order.
Taking cognisance of the over 100 deaths during the Amarnath pilgrimage this year, the Supreme Court had directed the government to set up a committee to propose measures for improving roads and infrastructure facilities for pilgrims to the Amarnath Cave Shrine in south Kashmir, 13,500 feet above sea level.
Geelani had protested that laying metalled roads and taking up construction on the route of the pilgrimage, which falls in mountain terrain that is also forested, would come at huge cost to the environment, besides violating forest laws.
VHP state unit president Rama Kant Dubey, talking to media persons Thursday, said: "There should be contempt proceedings against Syed Ali Shah Geelani for speaking against Supreme Court orders for improving the track and other infrastructure for safety of pilgrims taking the arduous pilgrimage to Amarnath Shrine."
Geelani had earlier threatened to launch a massive protest after Eid against the Shri Amarnath Shrine Board`s decision to construct concrete structures on the pilgrimage route and lay a metalled road.
The separatist leader had also said that the creation of such infrastructure to facilitate a pilgrimage was "cultural invasion", and blamed the government of India for using the holy pilgrimage as a means to influence Kashmiris with its ideology.
Geelani had also said that the duration of the pilgrimage should be reduced to two weeks, from the present two months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi