‘Geelani not being allowed to attend weddings’
Srinagar: Hardline faction of Hurriyat
Conference on Sunday alleged that its chairman Syed Ali Shah
Geelani was prevented by police from attending the marriage
ceremonies of his grandson and granddaughter.
"Marriage ceremonies of Geelani`s grandson and
granddaughter is scheduled for today and September 20. But
police maintained strict restrictions on his movement and
denied opportunity to attend the ceremonies at his ancestral
house at Sopore (in North Kashmir)," Hurriyat spokesman Ayaz
Akbar said in a statement here.
Condemning the action, Akbar said while the government
had already placed restrictions on Geelani`s political
activities, he was now being denied to attend personal matters
"Geelani continues to be under virtual arrest within
the four walls of his house and those coming to meet him are
being questioned and harassed by police," the spokesman said.
A senior police officer, however, said there were no
restrictions on Geelani from attending the wedding.
"He has been going for health check-up and attending to
other personal matters. Since his political activities lead to
violence, we cannot allow him that liberty," the officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'