‘Geelani not being allowed to attend weddings’
Srinagar: Hardline faction of Hurriyat
Conference on Sunday alleged that its chairman Syed Ali Shah
Geelani was prevented by police from attending the marriage
ceremonies of his grandson and granddaughter.
"Marriage ceremonies of Geelani`s grandson and
granddaughter is scheduled for today and September 20. But
police maintained strict restrictions on his movement and
denied opportunity to attend the ceremonies at his ancestral
house at Sopore (in North Kashmir)," Hurriyat spokesman Ayaz
Akbar said in a statement here.
Condemning the action, Akbar said while the government
had already placed restrictions on Geelani`s political
activities, he was now being denied to attend personal matters
"Geelani continues to be under virtual arrest within
the four walls of his house and those coming to meet him are
being questioned and harassed by police," the spokesman said.
A senior police officer, however, said there were no
restrictions on Geelani from attending the wedding.
"He has been going for health check-up and attending to
other personal matters. Since his political activities lead to
violence, we cannot allow him that liberty," the officer said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'