Geelani opposes fatwa to expel Christian priests
Srinagar: Senior separatist leader Syed Ali Geelani Tuesday locked horns with the local Sharia board over a fatwa seeking expulsion of four Christian priests from the Kashmir Valley.
Geelani, a Hurriyat leader, said in a statement from New Delhi: "Muslims should protect their religion themselves. Expelling somebody from Kashmir is no solution.
"Kashmiris cannot ignore the contributions of Christian missionary schools towards the educational system in the Valley.
"Unfortunately, Muslims have not been able to build an educational institution like those by the Christian missionary schools despite all available resources."
The local Sharia court had Jan 19 issued a decree seeking the expulsion of four priests from the state who were allegedly involved in converting some local youth to Christianity through financial allurement.
The decree had also demanded that a prayer written by Urdu poet Iqbal should be compulsorily recited at the morning assemblies by all Christian missionary schools in the Valley.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents