Geelani opposes separate zones for KPs
Srinagar: Hurriyat hawk Syed Ali Shah Geelani today threatened agitation if the Centre carved out separate zones for Kashmiri migrant pandits in the valley and rehabilitate the Pakistani refugees in Jammu and Kashmir.
"Kashmiri pandits are part and parcel of Kashmiri society and are our brethren. We will welcome their return to their homeland," he told a gathering outside his Hyderpora residence here.
Geelani, however, said the Hurriyat would oppose any attempt aimed at settling the pandits in separate zones and villages.
"It is a deep-rooted conspiracy to create separate zones for the community. The only purpose behind this is to divide our society," the chairman of the hardline faction of the Hurriyat said.
Geelani vehemently opposed any plan to rehabilitate Pakistani migrants in the state.
"We outrightly reject the plan of the government to provide domicile certificates to Pakistani refugees settled in Jammu region.
"It is a conspiracy to change the demographic character of the state and we will organise public opinion against the move," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation