Geelani placed under house arrest in Srinagar
Srinagar: Authorities Sunday placed senior separatist leader Syed Ali Geelani under house arrest.
A spokesman of the Hurriyat group headed by Geelani said security forces told the separatist leader he cannot move out of his uptown Hyderpora residence.
Geelani has been spearheading an anti-poll campaign ever since house arrest restrictions on him were lifted Oct 29 this year.
He was scheduled to address another of his anti-election rallies in north Kashmir Palhalan town of Baramulla district Sunday.
Police sources said the decision was taken to maintain law and order, adding it would be reviewed Monday.
Both Lok Sabha and state assembly elections are being held in Jammu and Kashmir in 2014.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- Divyansh Kakrora's death: Probe nails Ryan International School for glaring lapses; father alleges child was sodomised before murder
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step