Geelani placed under house arrest in Srinagar
Srinagar: Authorities Sunday placed senior separatist leader Syed Ali Geelani under house arrest.
A spokesman of the Hurriyat group headed by Geelani said security forces told the separatist leader he cannot move out of his uptown Hyderpora residence.
Geelani has been spearheading an anti-poll campaign ever since house arrest restrictions on him were lifted Oct 29 this year.
He was scheduled to address another of his anti-election rallies in north Kashmir Palhalan town of Baramulla district Sunday.
Police sources said the decision was taken to maintain law and order, adding it would be reviewed Monday.
Both Lok Sabha and state assembly elections are being held in Jammu and Kashmir in 2014.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- Bollywood pays respect to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam