Geelani placed under house arrest in Srinagar
Srinagar: Authorities Sunday placed senior separatist leader Syed Ali Geelani under house arrest.
A spokesman of the Hurriyat group headed by Geelani said security forces told the separatist leader he cannot move out of his uptown Hyderpora residence.
Geelani has been spearheading an anti-poll campaign ever since house arrest restrictions on him were lifted Oct 29 this year.
He was scheduled to address another of his anti-election rallies in north Kashmir Palhalan town of Baramulla district Sunday.
Police sources said the decision was taken to maintain law and order, adding it would be reviewed Monday.
Both Lok Sabha and state assembly elections are being held in Jammu and Kashmir in 2014.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested