Geelani placed under house arrest
Srinagar: Chairman of the breakaway faction
of Hurriyat Conference Syed Ali Shah Geelani was on Thursday placed
under house arrest as a precautionary measure ahead of a
protest march here tomorrow, police said.
Geelani, who had called for a march at Sonawar near here
to protest against the continued deployment of army in the
state, was placed under house arrest this morning, they said.
The step was taken as a precautionary measure with
authorities expressing fear the march may turn violent.
Yesterday, the hardline Hurriyat faction leader has
called for a foot march to UN office here, alleging human
rights violations in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Karan Johar is keen to watch THIS Bollywood release! Any guesses?
- 12 killed as violence mars Bangladesh local body polls
- Assault on Africans: Eight held, Home Minister Rajnath Singh asks police to ensure safety
- Must watch VIDEO: When James Vince, Joe Root teamed-up to take possibly the best slip catch in Test cricket history
- Arun Jaitley seeks Japanese investments; meets SoftBank CEO