Geelani placed under house arrest
Srinagar: Chairman of the breakaway faction
of Hurriyat Conference Syed Ali Shah Geelani was on Thursday placed
under house arrest as a precautionary measure ahead of a
protest march here tomorrow, police said.
Geelani, who had called for a march at Sonawar near here
to protest against the continued deployment of army in the
state, was placed under house arrest this morning, they said.
The step was taken as a precautionary measure with
authorities expressing fear the march may turn violent.
Yesterday, the hardline Hurriyat faction leader has
called for a foot march to UN office here, alleging human
rights violations in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!