Geelani put under house arrest
Srinagar: Authorities in Kashmir valley on Saturday put hardline Hurriyat leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani under house arrest immediately after his arrival at the airport here from New Delhi where he had gone for a health check-up.
"Geelani was arrested at the airport by a police party immediately after his arrival and taken in police custody to his Hyderpora residence where he was told that he cannot move out," Hurriyat spokesman Ayaz Akbar said here.
Geelani had gone to New Delhi for a medical check-up on January 21 and had announced that he would return to the Valley this week for the death anniversaries of Mohammad Afzal Guru and Mohammad Maqbool Bhat.
Akbar said Geelani`s residence was barricaded since morning and no one was being allowed to go inside or move out.
"A large contingent of police barricaded the Geelani`s residence early in the morning today and no one is being allowed to come out or go in to meet him (Geelani)," he said.
Hurriyat has called for a three-day shutdown from tomorrow to press for the demands to return back the mortal remains of Guru and Bhat.
Geelani is also scheduled to chair a seminar on February 12 at his residence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- PM Modi condoles APJ Abdul Kalam's death
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- Cricket series can't happen along with terror attacks: Anurag Thakur warns PCB