Geelani put under house arrest
Srinagar: Authorities in Kashmir valley on Saturday put hardline Hurriyat leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani under house arrest immediately after his arrival at the airport here from New Delhi where he had gone for a health check-up.
"Geelani was arrested at the airport by a police party immediately after his arrival and taken in police custody to his Hyderpora residence where he was told that he cannot move out," Hurriyat spokesman Ayaz Akbar said here.
Geelani had gone to New Delhi for a medical check-up on January 21 and had announced that he would return to the Valley this week for the death anniversaries of Mohammad Afzal Guru and Mohammad Maqbool Bhat.
Akbar said Geelani`s residence was barricaded since morning and no one was being allowed to go inside or move out.
"A large contingent of police barricaded the Geelani`s residence early in the morning today and no one is being allowed to come out or go in to meet him (Geelani)," he said.
Hurriyat has called for a three-day shutdown from tomorrow to press for the demands to return back the mortal remains of Guru and Bhat.
Geelani is also scheduled to chair a seminar on February 12 at his residence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional