Geelani released from house arrest
Srinagar: Hurriyat hardline faction chairman
Syed Ali Shah Geelani was on Tuesday released from house arrest to
allow him to take part in the funeral of his younger brother,
who died after a prolonged illness here.
Geelani, who was under house arrest for last several days,
was allowed to move outside his house and visit his ancestral
village in north Kashmir`s Sopore town after his brother Wali
Mohammad Shah Geelani passed away at a hospital here last
"No cordon has been laid around his house and he is free
to attend the funeral prayer of his brother or move
elsewhere," a police spokesman said in a statement.
He said Geelani, who was prevented to offer Eid prayers
yesterday, had met his ailing brother on November 3 at the
Hurriyat spokesman Ayaz Akbar said Geelani`s younger
brother was suffering from liver ailment and was undergoing
treatment at Soura Medical Institute.
"Geelani led the funeral prayers at Dooru village after
police lifted the cordon around his house," the spokesman
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez