Geelani released from house arrest
Srinagar: Hurriyat hardline faction chairman
Syed Ali Shah Geelani was on Tuesday released from house arrest to
allow him to take part in the funeral of his younger brother,
who died after a prolonged illness here.
Geelani, who was under house arrest for last several days,
was allowed to move outside his house and visit his ancestral
village in north Kashmir`s Sopore town after his brother Wali
Mohammad Shah Geelani passed away at a hospital here last
"No cordon has been laid around his house and he is free
to attend the funeral prayer of his brother or move
elsewhere," a police spokesman said in a statement.
He said Geelani, who was prevented to offer Eid prayers
yesterday, had met his ailing brother on November 3 at the
Hurriyat spokesman Ayaz Akbar said Geelani`s younger
brother was suffering from liver ailment and was undergoing
treatment at Soura Medical Institute.
"Geelani led the funeral prayers at Dooru village after
police lifted the cordon around his house," the spokesman
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video