Geelani released from house arrest
Srinagar: Hurriyat hardline faction chairman
Syed Ali Shah Geelani was on Tuesday released from house arrest to
allow him to take part in the funeral of his younger brother,
who died after a prolonged illness here.
Geelani, who was under house arrest for last several days,
was allowed to move outside his house and visit his ancestral
village in north Kashmir`s Sopore town after his brother Wali
Mohammad Shah Geelani passed away at a hospital here last
"No cordon has been laid around his house and he is free
to attend the funeral prayer of his brother or move
elsewhere," a police spokesman said in a statement.
He said Geelani, who was prevented to offer Eid prayers
yesterday, had met his ailing brother on November 3 at the
Hurriyat spokesman Ayaz Akbar said Geelani`s younger
brother was suffering from liver ailment and was undergoing
treatment at Soura Medical Institute.
"Geelani led the funeral prayers at Dooru village after
police lifted the cordon around his house," the spokesman
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- 'The Kapil Sharma Show' controversy: Sunil Grover opens up, finds all the 'tamasha' very 'entertaining'