Geelani terms Omar`s statement against him as `absurd`
Srinagar: Hardline Hurriyat Conference chairman Syed Ali Shah Geelani on Tuesday criticised Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah for calling the separatist leader a "threat to peace" and termed his statement as "absurd".
"Omar Abdullah’s statement that I am a threat to peace is childish and absurd," Geelani said in a statement here.
The hurriyat leader said his detention is "an act of political retribution" and that the chief minister has "virtually accepted political defeat".
Omar yesterday said that Geelani was by and large a free man but "restrictions have to be imposed" on his public functions as these are followed by violence.
"Whenever I had intervened in removing the restrictions on his (Geelani`s) movement and public speeches, these have invariably been followed by incidents of stone-pelting," Omar told reporters here.
Omar said if the separatist leader assured that there will be no law and order problem after his public appearances, he would get the restrictions imposed on him removed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack