Geelani terms Omar`s statement against him as `absurd`
Srinagar: Hardline Hurriyat Conference chairman Syed Ali Shah Geelani on Tuesday criticised Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah for calling the separatist leader a "threat to peace" and termed his statement as "absurd".
"Omar Abdullah’s statement that I am a threat to peace is childish and absurd," Geelani said in a statement here.
The hurriyat leader said his detention is "an act of political retribution" and that the chief minister has "virtually accepted political defeat".
Omar yesterday said that Geelani was by and large a free man but "restrictions have to be imposed" on his public functions as these are followed by violence.
"Whenever I had intervened in removing the restrictions on his (Geelani`s) movement and public speeches, these have invariably been followed by incidents of stone-pelting," Omar told reporters here.
Omar said if the separatist leader assured that there will be no law and order problem after his public appearances, he would get the restrictions imposed on him removed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days