Geelani terms Omar`s statement against him as `absurd`
Srinagar: Hardline Hurriyat Conference chairman Syed Ali Shah Geelani on Tuesday criticised Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah for calling the separatist leader a "threat to peace" and termed his statement as "absurd".
"Omar Abdullah’s statement that I am a threat to peace is childish and absurd," Geelani said in a statement here.
The hurriyat leader said his detention is "an act of political retribution" and that the chief minister has "virtually accepted political defeat".
Omar yesterday said that Geelani was by and large a free man but "restrictions have to be imposed" on his public functions as these are followed by violence.
"Whenever I had intervened in removing the restrictions on his (Geelani`s) movement and public speeches, these have invariably been followed by incidents of stone-pelting," Omar told reporters here.
Omar said if the separatist leader assured that there will be no law and order problem after his public appearances, he would get the restrictions imposed on him removed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report